If you have a set of ramps to drive the front of your BMW Bavaria up on, you may prefer this method of changing oil filters on a Bavaria.
Once the car has been driven up on the ramps, and a bucket placed under the filter;
- Release the oil filter retaining bolt but do not remove it.
- Work the filter down until it is resting on the sway bar.
- Remove the filter retaining bolt and the oil will drain from the canister.
- Reach down from the top and pull out the canister and the filter.
- Reassemble the canister with the new filter and the bolt/spring/washer combination.
- Place the reassembled canister back on the front sway bar with the retaining bolt resting on the bar so it won’t fall out.
- Get back under and secure the canister.
I find this a much cleaner technique/procedure than that described in the October-November, 1975 Roundel. You may have to initially reposition the power steering hoses to do it this way.
Author: Walter Light