Perhaps one of the more common problems has been squealing disc brakes on the larger BMW's.
Several steps can be taken to eliminate this problem.
- Change to new pads, as most pads begin to squeal when they wear.
- Bleed brakes and/or change brake fluid.
- Clean contact area on pistons.
- Check and adjust wheel bearings.
- Rough up the back, not the front, of the brake pads where they contact the pistons.
- Make an insert of the same size as the pad of Teflon or roof flashing material and instal between pads and pistons.
- Bevel the leading edges and trailing edges of the lining.
- Check with your dealer or other club members. Never use grease or oil around contact surfaces of brake and rotor; use only solutions specifically designed for cleaning brakes.
Author: Bob Gotshall